Monday, February 16, 2009

What is HPV and Why Is It Important to Consider Getting the Vaccine?

Just recently, HPV (Human Papillomavirus) has been in the news more than ever. I first heard of it 3 years ago when I was interviewing a prospective egg donor. I accepted the donor into the Heartfelt Egg Donation Program after researching and learning that Human Papillomavirus does not affect the eggs of a woman and having the virus does not automatically disqualify a woman from donating eggs.

Now that I have daughters and I pre-screen potential egg donors daily, I'm always interested in updates and making sure I have all the facts regarding the quadrivalent human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine. I found this webcast that was recently posted by SRM (Sexuality, Reproduction & Menopause), a clinical publication for the American Society of Reproductive Medicine. It provides comprehensive information about HPV and the vaccine. I would suggest that those who have daughters, are young women considering egg donation or prospective parents reviewing donor candidates, take a moment to learn more about HPV through this informative webcast.

As presented by:
J. Thomas Cox, MD
University of California
Santa Barbara
Student Health Services

Copy and paste this link in your web browser:
http://www.srm-ejournal.com/cox_intro/cox_intro.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So if a girl got HPV at age 16 and treated it at that age and has had normal papsmears since age 16, does that mean she is disqualified from being an egg donor at age 24?

Suzanne said...

You may donate eggs if you have or have had HPV.

Harry Somers said...

Hi Suzanne, I wanted to let you know I quoted you in my post about HPV and egg donation. Since the time you wrote this post another HPV vaccine has come on the market. Here's the link to my post on HPV and egg donation with your quote.