Friday, January 22, 2010

Freezing Eggs: Kids on Your Time

Are you a young woman thinking about if and when you'll ever have children? Are you planning on getting your education, working, traveling and enjoying yourself before you find the "one" and settle down and have a family? Well then you may want to take a look at this ABC News Good Morning America Health segment with Rachel Lehmann-Haupt who wrote  "In Her Own Sweet Time". Rachel talks about the option of Freezing Eggs for when you are ready to have children on your terms and time line and has even gone as far as freezing some of her eggs.

As much as this procedure is very enticing and a wonderful option for some, I believe it is unattainable and unrealistic for most. Right now it is very expensive and a procedure that most young woman do not have the funds for. I hope that Egg Freezing can become a more cost effective option for younger women and those going through cancer treatments who will have their fertility compromised. There is no doubt that this technology will only continue to improve and I hope that the cost effectiveness also allows this to be an attainable option for many.

What would I have done 20 years ago if this was a viable option available to me and it was cost effective? If I knew what I know now, maybe I would have taken the chance and invested in Egg Freezing when I was 25 years old and at the peak of my fertility. Although you know what? I don't regret my family formation decisions one bit. I believe that my family came to me as it was meant to come to me and I'm so proud of the faith, determination and hard work. It all paid off.

Freezing Eggs: Kids on Your Time









No comments: